Monday, July 02, 2007

1997 - 2007: Tales of 2 Alumni

Talking about 1997 to 2007, what can you think of?

Ten years ago, I started my college in that hot summer day near the beautiful West Lake in Hangzhou, China and am now busy preparing for my new study at the shore of charming Lac Léman, Switzerland soon.

At the same year, Mr. Tony Blair walked into 10 Downing Street & reigned for a decade. But long before he was there, his pre-predecessor Mdm. Margaret Thatcher had already negotiated a deal with Beijing for the big day to come on that summer. I remember watching the ceremony of Hong Kong's transfer a few days before taking national entrance exam for university. After I got the results, Princess Diana passed away dramatically.

10 years on, Mr. Blair left for the Middle East envoy, Hong Kong is growing fast under "One Country, Two Systems" and people still remember England's Rose. What has all this to do with me, time will tell. For now, I want to introduce two IMD MBA alumni (though one of them still has 5 more months to go until graduation) who are featured on the website. They have a gap of exactly 10 years.

MBA 1997 Alumnus - Soren Skou, focusing on HR & value-added leadership at Maersk
"It had been 10 years since Danishman Soren Skou was last on campus – he graduated from the IMD MBA in 1997. Then in June this year he returned for his 10 year Class Reunion...

While Soren hadn’t physically returned to campus since his graduation, he has still played an active role, by sponsoring two of his executives for the EMBA program and a couple of MBA ICP projects, “I wanted to support the school if I possibly could, and in doing so the company has also been able to benefit.”

From a personal point of view, Soren believes that the three most important things he got out of his MBA were: an updated tool box, a sharpened analytical ability and improved communications skills. “It was marketed as a tough program, and it was. But it was also an inspiring year and I had the time of my life.”

MBA Class of 2007 - Serena Shamash: a long-term dream  
...“I came to IMD for the leadership focus and the practical and global approach of the program. What I didn’t realize was how much I would enjoy being part of a smaller business school. I now understand the benefits of belonging to a tight-knit community where I can get personalized feedback and training. Additionally, the relationships and networks I’m developing are much deeper than I ever expected.”

...Following IMD, Serena plans to continue building her management skills in an international environment, working towards her long-term dream of consulting for start-ups in developing countries. “Entrepreneurship is like painting – you start with a blank piece of paper and create something out of a vision and a passion. With an enhanced self-awareness and refined leadership skills, I hope to be able to guide and inspire potential entrepreneurs in the future.”

No comments: